It's Muffin Monday and muffins are on the menu for breakfast, savoury Pesto Pine Nut and Parmesan Muffins that is. These also suit the perfect brunch for friends who might just pop in. They are delicious served with a selection of relishes and chutneys.
This recipe serves 12.
- Oil or butter for greasing or use nice paper muffin cases in a muffin tin
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (no shortcuts here)
- 1/2 cup (80g pkt) pine nuts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil or melted butter cooled(can use canola and pine nut oil)
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line it with muffin paper liners. To make the topping mix together parmesan and pine nuts and set aside.
- To make muffins: Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Stir in the grated parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a larger bowl, then beat in the buttermilk and oil. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Add the pesto and stir gently until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan. Scatter the topping over the muffins. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes until well risen, golden brown and firm to touch.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes then serve warm.
I was a lucky recipient of some of this batch and they were very very nice. thanks for the recipe!ReplyDelete
You are very welcome. They are delicious heated up the following day as well.ReplyDelete