It's Muffin Monday and muffins are on the menu for breakfast, savoury Pesto Pine Nut and Parmesan Muffins that is. This recipe serves 12.
- Oil or butter for greasing or use nice paper muffin cases in a muffin tin
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (no shortcuts here)
- 1/2 cup (80g pkt) pine nuts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil or melted butter cooled(can use canola and pine nut oil)
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line it with muffin paper liners. To make the topping mix together parmesan and pine nuts and set aside.
- To make muffins: Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Stir in the grated parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a larger bowl, then beat in the buttermilk and oil. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Add the pesto and stir gently until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan. Scatter the topping over the muffins. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes until well risen, golden brown and firm to touch.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes then serve warm.