Monday, November 18, 2013

Low Fat French Tarragon and Thyme Omelette for breakfast


Late breakfast this morning following a session at the gym and I needed protein and a good coffee hit. As my barista set to work I started on an omelette. Nothing new you say, however most of the recipes out there , and there are a lot of French omelette recipes, use copious amounts of oil, fat and cheese.

It is now a balancing act between controlling the kilos and the food still tasting great. I use spray on rice bran oil in a non-stick pan, low fat tasty cheese, unless it is a really special occasion and I will substitute goats cheese or Gruyere. A low fat omelette with good fresh ingredients  is also an easy and tasty option when travelling, as retirees do. I am so lucky that I can pick all of my herbs fresh from my garden and they last well refrigerated or in a vase of water. I must source some chervil though, as it's not in my garden at present.




French Herb Omelette for two

Ingredients:

4 organic eggs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or leaves from two good sprigs (your call depending on your love of this flavour)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Ground pepper and salt to taste
Rice Bran Oil cooking spray
6 cherry tomatoes
Handful of chopped mushrooms


Remove the leaves from the sprigs of tarragon and chop finely. Scramble the eggs with the tarragon, thyme, and half the parsley. Spray the oil into a small omelette pan and heat. Saute the mushrooms in the pan until slightly soft. Pour in the omelette mixture over the mushrooms and start cooking. Add a layer of the halved tomatoes to the eggs when slightly set. Cook the omelette until the base is just brown and leaves the pan cleanly with a spatula.

Sprinkle cheese on top and place pan under the grill to lightly brown the omelette.
Garnish with chopped parsley to serve.

Please note: I am using the correct spelling of omelette, not omelet, as it is originally a French word, so it is an omelette.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.
(c)2014-2022 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee