Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Old Fashioned Apple Crumble

This is my original Apple Crumble recipe which I have been told by my family not to mess with. I know I will be cooking this for the family over the Christmas period sometime, so here it is for easy reference everyone.

Fruit

4-6 Granny Smith cooking apples
1-2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup water

Fruit Variations
Rhubarb and apple
Tinned apple
Pie peaches
Stewed dried apricots

Crumble

1 cup plain flour (refined or wholemeal is preferable)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons coconut
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon Rolled oats (use a little bit less flour)

Let's cook
  1.  Peel and core apples and slice thinly.
  2. Place in a saucepan with water and simmer gently until soft. Add sugar to taste and stir to dissolve.
  3. Allow to cool then pour into a pie dish, keeping back excess juice.
  4. Place flour in a bowl then rub in butter with the fingertips.
  5. Add sugar, coconut, rolled oats and cinnamon and mix well until good crumbly consistency.
  6. Sprinkle lightly on top of apples.
  7. Bake in a moderate oven until lightly browned on top.
  8. Serve hot or cold with boiled custard .
(I like doing steps 4 and 5 by hand, however you could use the food processor.)

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.