This is my Mum's recipe for Tomato Relish, which she was never without in her pantry, and I still think it is the best tomato relish I have ever tasted. I have fond memories of eating it around the kitchen table at home with cheese and biscuits. It is now also a staple in our home, and our children love it as well.
This recipe can also be adapted to a flavoursome tomato passata according to your taste, which can be used for pizza bases, pasta sauces, or whenever tomato passata is needed.
500 g (1 lb) Ripe Tomatoes (skinned)
500 g (1 lb) onions
1 cup sugar
1 dessertspoon Curry Powder
1 teaspoon Mustard Powder
1 cup White Vinegar
salt to taste
cornflour to thicken
- Prepare and skin the tomatoes by blanching them, place them in iced water, remove the skins and chop them into quarters.
- Chop the onions finely.
- Place all ingredients except salt and cornflour in the pot and bring to the boil and then simmer until cooked and mixture is reduced by a quarter. Stir occasionally.
- When cooked, add salt to taste.
- Thicken with cornflour and water mixed to a thin paste, and simmer gently for a few more minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and fill your sterilised bottles.
- Turn the bottles upside down for 15 minutes to seal them properly.