Sunday, June 2, 2024

In My Kitchen, June 2024

 Dear friends, Welcome to this newsy post about what I've been up to In My Kitchen this past month. And now as the weather cools down beautifully for the short Northern Queensland Winter, I'll share with you a little about what is happening in my garden, as the edibles we grow end up in my kitchen. We are still dressed in t-shirts and shorts during the day when on yard duty, and this morning Mr. HRK and I spent the whole morning in the garden, planting new seedlings, pruning, reminiscing, and enjoying the Winter sunshine. What bliss. 

Juicy limes are in season, and when I was given a few by a friend from Pickleball, to celebrate I made this Coconut Lime Syrup cake.  This is one of those faithful cakes that is never a flop, always turns out and is always fresh and delicious. It's just made in one large bowl, and can be prepared early in the morning ready to be served warm for morning tea. The quintessential lime syrup can be simmering on the stove while the cake is cooking. This is one of my favourite cakes and brings back nice memories which are included in the post I wrote about the cake.

During this past month, we were away for 3 wonderful weeks in balmy Cairns, in Tropical Far North Queensland, playing in a Pickleball tournament at the North Queensland Games for one weekend, and enjoying visiting our daughter. Remember the Spice Girls, and what a hit they were? Well in Cairns, the Spice Girls Herb company is making some wonderful sachets of various herbal combinations. I bought the Chai Spice Tea and used it to make a delicious Chai spiced pear cake when we came home. This cake is a recipe in Emelia Jackson's new book "First, cream the butter and the sugar." Please check out the recipe here at this link, you will be so glad you did.


Chai Spiced Pear Cake


With the few limes that were left after cake baking, I made a batch of lime curd in the microwave, using exactly the same method as I use to make the lemon curd. Delicious.

My daughter loves the Mingle seasoning products, which the company promotes as containing no nasties. I made a Chicken satay for dinner in her kitchen with the Satay spice blend and it was delicious. No photos of that dish though, I cooked it in her kitchen, and forgot to take any photos. She loved it. I know they sell Mingle at Woolworths, not sure where else though.



There was a Tandoori Chicken Traybake which we really enjoyed over two nights.

Easy and healthy Chicken Pilau was one of the first recipes I ever posted on Happy Retiree's Kitchen, way back in February 4, 2014. It's still a recipe that I enjoy to cook and eat. This is an old photo, because guess what, I made this dish a couple of weeks ago and it was gone before I had time to take a photo.


A curried Beef Chow Mein with a medley of vegetables including cabbage, is always a delicious mid-week meal. I made it for dinner a few nights ago, and then we ate the leftovers for lunch. It's another easy and low cost  mid-week meal on rotation in my kitchen. I like to serve it with rice or noodles.



I've discovered this range of healthy spiral pastas by San Remo, which have enough fibre and nutrition to be even eaten just with cheese without feeling guilty. There are quite a few flavours including chick peas in the range. I cooked up the recipe on the back of the packet, and substituted zucchini for eggplant because that is what I had on hand, and included chorizo, tomatoes and Italian herbs, and it was delicious.




We had a real cold snap come through a couple of weeks ago, it must have plummeted to 10 degrees Celsius one night,  and these Slow cooked Italian Lamb Shanks warmed us up beautifully.


Even though sadly we don't have our beehive anymore, I was thrilled this morning to see lots of bees in the pink Cuphea, and the Butterfly bushes.

There are bees in there.

 Can you see the bee in the lower red circle? I was sure I saw one in the top one as well, but it's difficult to make out now. Flowering bushes and shrubs can be full of bees, but it is so difficult to catch a photo of them with a mobile phone camera. 


We bought a large pot of parsley from Bunnings this morning for $9.00, and I broke it up into 11 plants. Given that a sachet of fresh parsley from the market or the supermarket costs around $4.00 each, I think this is the economical way to do it. I'll grow a couple of plants in a pot, and the rest in the garden. Can you really have too much fresh parsley on hand to cook with? 


This is a tomato bush against Mr. HRK's shed, which I am hoping will be loaded with lots of those small tomatoes, perfect for salads. It has grown so quickly.


Now that it is officially Winter, my mint patch has decided to grow. I'm quite excited. Mint hates the Summer heat.


I planted some spinach seedlings.


My beautiful tropical orchid is taking centre stage on the patio.


This one is happy to strutt her stuff in the orchid house.

A friend gave me this new pot for smaller plants, I love the colour. The painted rocks were a gift from a friend at Easter.


This beautiful red coleus brightens up our front garden. She is very happy in Winter. Many thanks to Marj for thinking to take this photo.


 I am sending this post to Sherry of Sherry's Pickings for the In My Kitchen event. If you would like to join in, send your post to Sherry by the 13th of the month. Or just head over to her blog to visit more kitchens and see some of her lovely art work.


Warm wishes

Pauline

28 comments:

  1. Lots of delicious foods in your kitchen :-) A huge bunch of flat parsley from Turkish store or market is 1 euro over here...in regular supermarkets they are more expensive..the red coleus looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie the cost of herbs at the market is very seasonal here, but you can't beat being able to just gather some herbs from your own garden.

      Delete
  2. Your savory dishes and your cakes all look very delicious!
    best, mae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen and your garden is hopping! So many wonderful things happening. We are on opposite seasons and I am already missing cooler air. The hoy, humid sticky air of Florida has arrived. My husband is an avid pickleball player too. Thanks for taking us on your kitchen and garden journey.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being part of my journey Velva. Yes we really enjoy pickleball as well.

      Delete
  4. You have very green fingers! That's such a good idea about the parsley - lucky supermarket herbs are generally much cheaper in the UK because I have never had any luck growing them! Your lime syrup cake looks the real deal - I make something similar with lemon and how good is lemon butter?! Nom nom! Wishing you all the deliciousness in June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammie, the cooler weather here now is very inspiring for cooking and gardening.

      Delete
  5. That’s a lot of pretty food! I’m so jealous you’re entering winter. Here it’s HOT! But I do love when the garden begins to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, the change of season happens quickly, and I am loving the change of weather. It's so nice not to be cooking during hot weather, and this is the perfect time to garden for us.

      Delete
  6. I love that tag on the bag of spice blend "no nasties". You enjoyed a nice variety throughout the month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks delicious and I'm drooling over your baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Melynda, Looking back it was full on and varied. No nasties is so important with what we add to our cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of goodies here Pauline. I love the Mingle green goddess spice mixture; so delish on everything. Your cakes look wonderfully desirable. I love lemon curd so lime curd would be great too. Oh i must have missed about your beehive. what happened? That photo of the lime syrup cake has me drooling. I buy Mingle online but I am going to check out Woolies for them. Thanks for joining in this month and sorry I didn't give you a mention in my IMK post. I appreciate your support each month. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, no problem, you can't mention everyone's name. I thought I wrote about the demise of the beehive, Hubby was stung 5 times and ended up anaphylactic, and was rushed to hospital. Very scary, so we couldn't take any risks after that. We sold it sadly to someone who seemed keen. Take care.

      Delete
    2. I think you did mention about the beehive. My memory just ain't what it was :=)

      Delete
  10. such lovely goodies, and delicious food in your kitchen this month!
    Is Emilia's recipe for choux pastry in First, cream the butter and the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tandy, yes it is in there, looking forward to trying it.

      Delete
  11. Wow those plants are so happy! And 11 parsley plants for just $9? I love keeping fresh herbs around, and I'm jealous you found that parsley for that price!! That lime coconut cake sounds quite fantastic, too, and I bet it would go well with my morning coffee right now. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, so nice to hear from you. Yes the lime coconut cake never last long, so delicious. I'm looking forward to seeing the parsley grow.

      Delete
  12. Your garden looks brilliant — and that tomato bush! It’s huge! We really cannot garden here easily without using inappropriate amounts of water… so I support our local farmers instead. We do have wonderful herbs, though. Is that plant with the pink flowers a myrtle?

    All tour dishes look so wonderful. Mr. HRK must be happy he married you!

    David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind man you are David:) The pretty pink bush is a cuphea, that's its genus name, but it's order is the Myrtales, and has about 260 species, apparently. Perhaps it is related to the Myrtle. Just looked it up and it's native to tropical regions of the Americas. Interesting we bought it for our Italian beehive, they didn't seem to like it much, but now that they have gone, it is full of bees from somewhere else. Lovely to see.

      Delete
  13. Hey, I'm in shorts today, too! Where I live, we've finally turned the corner to summer, and I'm about to switch into summer mode. I'm planning a mid-summer barbecue, and I'm looking for cakes to serve - and I think that coconut lime one you've featured here fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jeff, Unusual that on both sides of the world we can lay claim to wearing shorts at the same time. However I am certainly not in shorts now, although Mr. HRK still is, ha, ha. Winter has arrived. I really hope you make this cake, the flavours are amazing, I know your guests will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What green fingers you have! I love the idea of buying a giant plant and dividing it up into pots for ongoing herbs, we did the same with a lovely pot of organic basil and it's survived well so far for a month on our windowsill. I'm looking forward to being back in Australia where I can enjoy the dry season in Darwin, today is June 11 and it was 10 degrees this morning in Paris. Bring on summer please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You actually have the perfect lifestyle I think , between Darwin and Paris, such contrasting places to live. I hope you experience some Summer soon in Paris. thanks so much for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  16. Such nice meals and a beautiful garden. I love it when I see bees in the garden. They are fascinating to watch and it gives me joy to help keep them fed, given that they are so important to the ecosystem. That coconut lime cake sounds delicious. I am sad we got no limes this winter but hope the tree is getting healthier. I want to try that red lentils pasta. And no, you can never have too much parsley - I try and make sure when it goes to see that more

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely to hear from you Johanna, I know you will enjoy the pasta. We seem to be enjoying lots of beautiful limes this Winter, it's great to see the trees bearing so much fruit. Take care, and thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.