Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Mackay Lime Tart or Key Lime Pie

This sweet and tangy lime tart is simply sensational to eat, and is so easy to make. The filling rests in a baked biscuit and butter case, and the cooked tart keeps well when refrigerated and can also be frozen. Using freshly juiced and zested limes brings so much authentic flavour to this dessert.. When life gave me fresh limes, I made this tart.

I based this recipe on one I found online on taste.com, which is an Australian  supermarket catalogue website. They called it a Key Lime Pie or Tart recipe, but because I made it here in Mackay, North Queensland, using fresh limes picked off a backyard lime tree (the best), I have renamed it because of the origin of the limes. The ingredients and method are very similar to the delicious tarts my Mum always used to make using lemons and condensed milk, but generally the base was her homemade pastry. We always called them Lemon Condensed Milk tarts, not pies, although apple pies were always definitely called pies. In my part of the world, a pie generally means that the filling has a pastry base and top.

As a Queenslander, I feel slightly presumptuous talking about the American Key Lime Pie. My American friends will know this pie originated in Key West, Florida in the late 19th century. Condensed milk was an essential ingredient as milk and refrigeration were uncommon in Florida Keys until the 1930's, which is also I think why condensed milk was such a popular ingredient in Australian tarts as well. How could we have survived over the years without sweetened condensed milk? Key limes are much smaller and rounder than our Queensland limes apparently. The homegrown limes I used for this tart are large and incredibly juicy, whereas the ones found in many supermarkets here are smaller. Some Key Lime pies are also now made with bottled juice, but is the flavour as authentic I wonder? I've never needed to use bottled lime or lemon juice when baking or cooking. The base of an American  Key Lime pie is also often made with Graham crackers or pastry.

 I am always very interested in the origin of foods, so please feel free to send me your thoughts and memories of Key Lime Pies or Lemon or Lime condensed milk tarts you have eaten. These food and family based memories are so important. My Mum made lots of condensed milk tarts quite effortlessly when I was living at home, and I wish I had paid more attention at the time to the detail involved. 

INGREDIENTS:

250 g packet Granita, Digestive or Wheatmeal biscuits

125 g butter, melted

395 g can sweetened condensed milk

1 tbsp finely grated lime zest

4 egg yolks

2 egg whites

Whipped cream to serve

Limes, thinly sliced, to serve (optional)

294 calories per serve, 1231 kj per serve (approx.)

Method:

Preheat your oven to 160 deg. C fan-forced or 180 deg. C 

Preparing the tart base:

Find your 3 cm-deep, 24 cm round (base) fluted, loose-based flan tin. (A loose based tin will make your life much easier when lifting the tart up and out of the tin to serve it). Grease the tin well. However you could also use a round glass or ceramic dish which is 3 cm deep if that is all you own. That is what my Mum used. Just ensure you grease it well.

In your food processor,  break down the biscuits until they resemble fine breadcrumbs. Pour in the melted butter and process until biscuits and butter are well combined.

Press the biscuit mixture over the base and side of your prepared tart tin or dish.

Place the tin on a baking tray.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool the tart tin on a cooling rack.

Preparing your tart:

Lower the heat in your oven to 140 deg C fan forced/ or 160 deg C.

In your electric mixer, beat the egg yolks until pale and thick. 

To the bowl, gradually add the condensed milk, the lime rind, and the lime juice and beat in slowly.

Using a hand held electric beater, beat the egg whites in a separate clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form.

Fold the beaten egg whites gently, in two batches, into the egg yolk mixture

Pour the mixture into the prepared tart crust.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until filling has just set. (Your filling might still be slightly wobbly in the centre.)

Cool on a cooling rack.

Refrigerate your tart for 2 hours.

Top your tart with freshly sliced limes and serve with ice cream, freshly whipped cream, or custard. Meringues are often used to decorate this tart as well.


I hope this week is treating you well.

Please let me know on my instagram account at @happy_retirees_kitchen if you make this tart. I would love to hear about it.

Warm regards  and thanks for dropping by.

Pauline






12 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering reading key lime...must be very refreshing and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, fresh and light as well as very slightly tart.

      Delete
  2. OMG Key Lime Pie is one of my favorite dessert, so pleasantly tart and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really a delicious looking tart, and I can only imagine how good the juice of large homegrown limes taste. We live not that far from Key West in Florida and we love getting some Key Lime pie when we visit. I understand that Florida doesn't grow key limes anymore for production (just ornamental trees). Now Key limes come for tropical countries like India, Mexico, and Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How amazing Judee that you live near Key West. I trust my story was correct:) Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  4. OH YUM! I am not sure which types of limes we get here, but they are fair sized, and very juicy. I buy bottled lime juice when we are in Italy as it is pure lime juice and as good as fresh when limes are out of season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tandy, I have actually bottled and frozen some lime juice for future use. The limes are just beautiful. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Key lime pie (tart) has been a favorite of mine since I first had it in Florida in the 1960s. For me, I love making it with Mexican/Key limes — such a unique flavor. But I also love it with regular limes, too. I have never added beaten egg white, though — I must try that! (Pauline — the egg yolks are missing in your ingredients list. :) Can’t wait till winter comes, bringing with it fresh Mexican/Key limes off the bush! David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David thanks so much for picking that up. I was in a bit of rush getting this one typed up, thankyou my friend for reading the recipe:) The limes here are beautiful at the moment. I was so happy with this tart.

      Delete
  6. I've been making versions of this for years as it is so delicious and easy. And your version is named after me - hehehe... I agree about pies and tarts - pies have two crusts while a tart only has the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have a tart named after you eh, and why not. There should more of it I think.

      Delete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.