Tuesday, December 5, 2023

In My Kitchen, December 2023

 

I'm in the mood for Christmas now, which is great, because it's nearly here and the stunning colours of Christmas are naturally occurring in our garden. Bring it on. It's been a big morning today. The fruits for my Christmas Cake and my Christmas Plum Pudding are now macerating, and the Rum Ball mixture is chilling in the refrigerator. I'll roll these traditional little festive balls in coconut tonight. I needed to start all of these preparations early at 6.30 am this morning, before the heat of the day set in, and I am so relieved that I have made a start. Hopefully the cake will be baked and the puddings made by the end of this week. I am usually earlier than this making the Christmas cake, but I've been fairly casual about it all this year, and they will still taste great and make it feel like Christmas, even if lunch is fairly simple. 


In My Kitchen:

A big shout out to my blogging friend Sherry at Sherry's Pickings who at the beginning of every month hosts this In My Kitchen event, which all of us at home Food Bloggers love to be a part of.  I've been cooking a nice mix of Sweet and Savoury recipes this month.

Sweet treats:

I made a batch of Portuguese Custard Tarts in our Pie Maker. This is a much easier way to cook with pastry in our Tropical Summer heat. The tarts were delicious for morning tea, and afternoon tea. The cup of tea was for the photo, but then we both decided to drink one of Mr. HRK's coffees with the tarts. Good decision. 


These beautiful Coffee Mugs from the Byfield Pottery near Yeppoon in Central Queensland, were a lovely surprise Christmas gift from our friends J & D. Mr. HRK is the barista behind the delicious coffee within.


I baked a delicious and quite healthy Pear and Almond Tart, a Donna Hay recipe.




A Spiced Pumpkin, Orange and Prune cake, decorated with Nasturtiums from our garden


Scrumptious Savoury things:

Mini party pizzas with puff pastry are always tasty when I'm asked to "Bring a Plate ".



Rosemary Flavoured Focaccia, straight out of the oven for brunch with smashed Avocado, Goat's cheese, and Gourmet Balsamic dressing.Simple and delicious.


I was thrilled to find these nested Baker Scrapers at a local kitchen shop. My bread and cake baking will
be a lot easier now, and I will look quite professional when making bread and baking cakes.



We also baked a batch of Beef Pies in our Pie Maker. The Beef filling was delicious. Here's the recipe for my Slow Cooker  Beef and Red Wine  filling, which is perfect for filling pies. I'm really enjoying using the Pie Maker this Summer and what's not to love about Beef Pies.


It really is just too tempting and easy to buy a cooked chook for dinner from the Supermarket when we're doing the weekly shopping, don't you think? So instead I baked this chook, after I bought two fresh chickens for $14.00, a real bargain, as a cooked chook costs $13.00 these days. It really is so simple to bake a chicken, and it was absolutely delicious. Mr. HRK asked me if anyone really bakes chickens at home anymore these days. Well I do, I said. I made a sourdough bread stuffing flavoured with chopped fresh sage and parsley, and added a chopped onion, an egg, a little butter and a little white pepper. The stuffing tasted amazingly good. Mr HRK couldn't get enough of it. I stuffed as much parsley as I could under the skin of the chicken, massaged her with butter, and finished dressing her with a sprinkle of Provence mixed herbs, which I brought back from France with me earlier in the year. However any dried mixed herbs would work. I'll  replicate the method I used here when I cook  the baked Christmas chicken this year and make a chicken gravy as well.


Individual low calorie Salmon Quiches were delicious made with fresh wild caught salmon that I cooked.


A bowl of Prawn Taglierini was delicious.


 So I made a Chicken Taglierini the following week, using my homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce again.


My beautiful fragrant and delicate Vanda orchid pictured below has been flowering for a couple of weeks now. She is at least 15 years old, and is still in the original pot but is now hanging from our Lychee tree. I brought her up from Rockhampton when my Mum passed away. Mum loved her orchids. I think she would be really thrilled at how well this one is still growing and loving the Tropics. 


The African Blood Lillies are also in flower bringing the beautiful red colours of Christmas to our garden.


As you can see I've been quite busy trying new dishes that we will enjoy this past month, the biggest challenge has been finding the time to post all of the recipes, but that will happen. I hope you are all enjoying your time in your kitchens as well and looking forward to Christmas. 

Have a wonderful Christmas festive season everyone, I hope it can be a relaxing, refreshing, peaceful,  and enjoyable time for you all. See you in January.

Warm wishes,
Pauline

33 comments:

  1. So many delicious treat! My husband would totally love those beef pies. I totally love Donna Hay's recipes. Enjoy your holiday season, Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Angie, you too. It's been lovely hearing from you and reading your inspiring posts throughout the year.

      Delete
  2. So much great sounding food! I’m drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy a tour of your kitchen (and Sherry’s, too!) each month. Those Portuguese custard tarts look amazing; I’ve always wanted to make them. And I saw that your sourdough focaccia recipe was posted last week sometime… I’m heading there next to look at that! it would be nice to be able to buy a cooked chicken sometime, as it would be easy for making chicken salad or such. But, everybody rubs them with garlic here, which makes them off-limits for me. So we cook chickens at home all the time. My new favorite way is hoisted onto a beer can and roasted on the barbecue. it comes out, so tender and moist! Also, I love all your Christmas preparations. We have a friend who gives us one of her plum puddings every year (they are the best!), and I have a Christmas cake recipe from a friend who now lives in Italy. Someday I would like to make it, but it does take quite a lot… I don’t envy you trying to bake like this in the heat, too. Luckily, here it is nice and cool for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I know it is you because of your garlic comment, tee hee. It must be tricky though trying to avoid garlic all the time. I would love to know exactly how to cook a chook hoisted on a beer can. It would be great if you could put up a photo sometime, a fun item. Your Christmas time is perfect for cooking, I remember loving it in the UK when we were there many moons ago. Hope you and Mark have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  4. All your foods look very scrumptious! Your tropical weather also looks great.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae, we do love living in the Tropics, but late afternoon when a meal is to be prepared, it can be just a wee too warm.

      Delete
  5. I can vouch for the beef pies they were really delicious. First I heard about the Portuguese tarts though! I just love those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, J, I think. x I'll make the tarts for you sometime.

      Delete
  6. I can vouch for the beef pies they were delicious! Sadly I missed a Portuguese tart they look yummy! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, I thought it was you my friend. The tarts weren't around long. Thanks so much for the comment. I'll make the tarts for you and D one day. Watching the trajectory of that cyclone.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful savoury and sweet treats in your kitchen this month! I am so impressed by the variety. That coffee art looks pretty professional by Mr HRK too and I would love one of your sweet treats to go with a coffee :) Happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dos, I am very fortunate to have a good barista on site. Happy holiday season to you as well.

      Delete
  8. What a great range of new kitchen additions. I love my scrapers too-they're so handy and I always find myself reaching for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine I am really looking forward to using my new scrapers. Happy holiday season to you. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  9. Everything you've cooked in your kitchen looks delicious. Love those coffee mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the mention Pauline. Hard to believe our last IMK for this year is upon us already. Love all the food, and christmas foliage in your post. The poincianas and flame trees are flowering madly around here so we know it's Christmas! Have a great festive season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poincianas will be flowering beautifully in Cairns when we venture North too. Hope your eyes are healing well.

      Delete
    2. thanks Pauline. Eyes are getting better. Watch out for that cyclone if you're heading north (er) . hehehe.

      Delete
  11. Wow, your cooking has been prolific and each dish looks amazing! I like the nested pastry scrapers. And I need to know more about your Pie Maker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tandy, I'll put some info up about the pie maker soon. It wasn't expensive and they are readily available here from KMart.

      Delete
  12. Pauline, so many good things happening in your kitchen! lots of great food! Christmas indeed is almost here and I am barely out of the gate (laugh).

    Merry Christmas!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Velva, I'm sure you will Have everything done in time.

      Delete
  13. I do still roast my own chickens. It's one of my favorite meals. Your beef pies look delicious and I will be sure to give your recipe a try. Enjoy your holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh you have been busy - everything looks so delicious! I miss my Kmart pie maker so much - a pie maker is so useful and versatile, isn't it? Especially love the look of your mini pizzas, such a great idea for bring a plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammie, Are you able to source a piemaker from the British equivalent of K Mart? K Mart has become the best place to purchase some kitchen appliances here in Oz.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like a lot of great food! I love the beef pies and the tarts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff, I had fun with the tarts and they were delicious.

      Delete
  16. I had to chuckle at the comment about baking chicken at home. I agree! Rotisserie (baked) chicken is so easy to purchase, but homemade is always better. And Mr. HRK is quite the barista - I had no idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, he is very well known for his good coffee and can produce some very nice coffee art as well. Thankyou for your comment.

      Delete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.