Sunday, November 19, 2023

Classic Slow Cooker Tomato Pasta Sauce


This is a classic homemade tomato pasta sauce recipe for the home cook which I find is one of the best sauces to have on standby in my kitchen for a quick and simple meal. Everyone needs quick dinners in their recipe repertoire, and with this sauce most of the work is already done. Just a few more ingredients added, and your meal can be on the table in no time at all.  It's convenient to cook it in my slow cooker for 8 hours but can be varied to many cooking methods depending on what appliances you have and like to use. I've already used it as the basic tomato sauce for a Prawn Pasta dish which was really delicious. Recipe is coming soon.

 I'm using two jars (2 cups) of the sauce tonight in a quick and simple chicken pasta dish, using cooked BBQ chicken meat, perfect for an easy Sunday night's dinner, which I'm really looking forward to. This tomato sauce can form the basis of a Spaghetti Bolognaise sauce, or a Lasagne, or a whole variety of dishes really. I placed 4 jars of the sauce in the freezer, and just refrigerated the other 4. Because this will be the basic tomato sauce that is used for many dishes, I often add 1 tablespoon of extra tomato paste to the sauce for the pasta dishes. I throw in a handful of extra chopped basil, some freshly ground pepper and serve it with freshly grated parmesan cheese and more fresh basil. I am absolutely thrilled at how delicious this sauce is.

When tomatoes were in season about a month ago, I bought enough to make this sauce. They generally need to ripen even further after I buy them, but after a few days in the fruit bowl on the kitchen table, they were ready to use. With the lovely township and food bowl of Bowen, just 2 hours North of us along the Bruce Highway, we have access to beautiful tomatoes in late Winter before it gets too hot. Local fruit and vegetable shops and the markets used to sell them for as little as $2.00 a kilo, however I've only seen them for at least $3.00 a kilo this year, but then food prices are rising everywhere. When they are selling cheaply, I purchase a few kilos of them. I can always find ways to use tomatoes.

3 kilos of fresh tomatoes on the kitchen scales

This is a no fuss sauce which is so much tastier than the strong flavoured tomato sauces that can be purchased from the supermarket, and which are also loaded with additives and sugar. I'm working on my Prawn Pasta recipe to post on the blog because I was so excited by just how delicious it was and can't wait to share it with you. I made it with locally caught wild prawns and this tomato sauce.

Locally bought wild caught prawns and only $14.00 a kilo

Ingredients:

Makes about 8 average sized jars of sauce:

2 kilos very ripe fresh tomatoes

2 onions quartered

8 cloves garlic, peeled

4 carrots in chunks

1x800 g tin tomatoes 

1 large bunch of herbs (I used home grown oregano, parsley and basil)

2 generous pinches of chilli flakes or substitute finely chopped fresh 2 Capilano chillies (not hot)

40 g Extra Virgin Olive Oil

2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder

300 g water

200 g tomato paste

4 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

Method:

Finely chop the onion, garlic, carrot, and herbs.

Add the oil to a pan or the pot of your slow cooker and sauté the onion, garlic and carrots.

Place all the ingredients in the pot of the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.

Allow to cool slightly and puree the tomato sauce if needed.

Pour into warm sterilised jars.

I think you will be seeing reference to this pasta sauce in a few of my recipes in the future, and I wanted to have it easily accessible to refer to. This isn't a post full of stylised photos or fancy ingredients, but it is a practical recipe which I think is versatile, simple to make, and a real time saver for meal preparation in your kitchen. There is no doubt that healthy home prepared sauces, relishes, chutneys, and other condiments in your refrigerator and pantry stretch your food budget further by adding flavour, interest and excitement to the simplest of recipes. 

Hoping your week goes well at your place.

Happy cooking,

Pauline







18 comments:

  1. So much fresher and flavourful than the storebought one! Those prawns are really plump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum those prawns look so delicious pauline! I am not a fan of tomatoes as you may remember but hubby loves tomato relish so I make that on the regular! I bet your sauce is faboulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry the prawns were so delicious and the sauce is perfectly balanced.

      Delete
  3. Wow looks great! Especially i loved its sauce. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a flavorful shrimps with fresh tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love a home made tomato pasta sauce. There's nothing quite like it is there? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, I think a homemade a tomato pasta sauce is perfect for so many meals. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  6. What a great recipe to have! I had never thought of making sauce in the slow cooker. Thanks so much! David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David the slow cooker just makes life so much easier at times. Perfect for this type of sauce.

      Delete
  7. Nothing beats homemade! This sauce looks so rich and delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.