Thursday, August 8, 2019

Rustic Blueberry and Coconut Scone - International Scone Week 2019 - #ISW2019


I have just been reminded about International Scone Week from Tandy, who writes the wonderful Lavender and Lime blog.  ( Anyone can become part of #ISW, just go to Tandy's blog for information.) So my creative juices started flowing and I remembered this fruity scone recipe I had been wanting to try. Sometimes a wholesome, fruity and delicious scone is just what is required to have with a cuppa, a comforting reminder of a bygone era, except that blueberries weren't as readily available back then as they are now. Most people I know have a favourite scone recipe which they can create at a moment's notice when time is at a premium. Mine is my reliable Damper Scone recipe, very Aussie.

However when I saw the photo of this scone in a Donna Hay Fresh & Light magazine, I had to try it and now it is securely part of my recipe repertoire. We all know the health benefits of blueberries, and this scone is loaded with them, including dried blueberries which I generally don't buy but they combine very well here with their frozen counterparts. Donna also uses Coconut Sugar in her recipe, but as I didn't have it I used Raw Sugar instead and it was fine.

Buttermilk is the secret ingredient, resulting in a light and fluffy textured scone, and a delicious flavour. You can save money by making your own with vinegar and milk, it is so quick and easy. Whenever I have bought a carton of Buttermilk previously, I never seem to finish the whole carton which is a waste of money. See my tip below for making your own. I was surprised at how light and fluffy these turned out, given that they are made with wholemeal flour, another healthy addition.



If you try this recipe and think the mixture is too moist before pouring onto the tray, don't be tempted to add more flour. I'm glad I didn't although I very nearly did. You will just need well floured hands to mould it into the circular shape. Scones always go down well, don't you think?

Ingredients:

2 cups (320g) wholemeal self-raising flour, with extra for dusting
20 g of cold unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
1/3 cup (45g) raw sugar (Use coconut sugar if you wish)
1/3 cup (65g) dried blueberries or 1x70g packet (or nibble the extra 5 grams)
1/4 cup (20g) shredded coconut
*1 1/3 cups (330ml) buttermilk (make your own by using 1 tablespoon plain vinegar to 1 cup of milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 cup (160g) frozen blueberries

*TIP: It is so easy to make your own buttermilk and save money as well. Pour 1 1/3 cups full cream milk into a small jug or bowl, and add 1 1/3  tablespoons of plain vinegar to the milk. (No need to be terribly exact with the vinegar measurement.) After 5 minutes you will see the milk starting to curdle.

Let's cook:

Preheat oven to 200 deg. C. or 400 deg. F.

Place the flour and the sugar in a large bowl and mix to combine.

Add the butter and using your fingertips mix the butter into the flour until you have what resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Add the dried blueberries, and shredded coconut and stir it all lightly together to combine.

Scoop out a well in the centre of the dry mixture, add the buttermilk and vanilla, and using a butter knife, mix the dough together until nearly combined.

Add the frozen blueberries and mix to just combine. Over mixing will toughen the scone dough.

Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper and lightly dust with flour. Mark out a 20 cm circle on the tray. I used a large bread and butter plate to do this by laying it on the paper and drawing around it.

Turn the dough out onto the tray. Lightly dust your hands with flour and bring the dough together into the round circle and flatten it out to fill the 20cm round.



Use a sharp knife, and cut the dough into 8 even pieces.

Cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

This scone is sweet enough for me, laden with fruit,  without the need for extra jam and cream, I like eating it with a mature cheddar cheese. However Mr. HRK went for the jam and cream.  Would you have yours with Jam and Cream or prefer something savoury like cheese with it?  Either way this recipe is delicious warm from the oven and very easy to make.

Happy International Scone Week to you all, and enjoy your scones.

Best wishes

Pauline





20 comments:

  1. These look wonderful I've never made scones without egg but this recipe and your great instructions have made me want to make them! and, you know what my family loves blueberries. Came over from Sherry's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Balvinder, Nice to meet you and thanks so much for your comment. Blueberries are just wonderful in scones. Hope you enjoy them. Cheers, Pauline

      Delete
  2. Pauline I don't usually cook scones but these sound delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I will pin it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel, this scone will give you your daily fruit allowance, or close to, LOL, and they are delicious. Hope you can give them a try, They are a very different kind of scone.Best wishes, Pauline

      Delete
  3. This looks delightful and would certainly be full of flavours. I adore dried blueberries, you don't often see recipes including them. This would be great paired with a cup of tea, or two, I think it will be moist enough without the happy addition of butter. I love that you are a fellow beekeeper :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Merryn and thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes we enjoy our bees and hope to have some honey by September, fingers crossed. This scone is all about the blueberries, we love it. Hope you can try it sometime. Cheers, Pauline

      Delete
  4. Thanks for taking part and I am so going to have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tandy,I'm enjoying being part of ISW and reading all of the different recipes. I hope you enjoy this scone recipe.

      Delete
  5. Happy scone week. I have been enjoying all the beautiful photos of different types of scones throughout the Southern Hemisphere. If any have come from the north, I’ve missed them so far. Blueberries are actually in season here, and maybe I will bake with them.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh you are so lucky to have them in season Mae. All of ours come up from down south but I know how wonderful they are in the Northern Hemisphere. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Best wishes, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  7. these sound delicious pauline. i do love blueberries in muffins so i'm sure they would be great in scones too. i know what you mean about buttermilk. i usually make my own these days too. cheers S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Sherry, ISW is going well isn't it, any excuse to do some baking.

      Delete
  8. Your healthy scones look fantastic! I like the addition of the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much,EHR, these scones are very tasty and easy. Loving ISW.

      Delete
  9. This sounds great, I will try it but with gluten free flour for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be delicious gluten free Jackie. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog.

      Delete
  10. This looks great! I never buy buttermilk and always make my own as it's so easy and as you say you never end up using all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buttermilk is in so many recipes now isn't it, so it is handy to be able to just make it when required. Thanks Lorraine.

      Delete
  11. these look delicious - I never buy buttermilk any more since starting to make my own because I never got through a carton either - love berries in a scone

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankyou so much Johanna for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. These scones with blueberries are certainly delicious. Best wishes, Pauline

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.
(c)2014-2022 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee