Thursday, August 9, 2018

Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Slice Rejigged


I'm having one of those days when the comfort and ease of cooking a favourite and reliable dish seems to be what is called for. Rejigging a favourite family recipe where I can also use up some of the bits and pieces in the refrigerator is a bonus. There are times when we can use our imagination and be frugal at the same time. A savoury slice, savoury muffins, quiches, frittatas or any egg based dish are perfect for using up vegetables found lurking in the vegetable crisper. I often also throw a lot of these into soups.

Zucchini and bacon slice is a standard meal in a lot of households and has been since the 1980's. When I gave my Mum the recipe many years ago,  she loved it and took it along to every  function which required a plate to be taken. It still makes for good finger food at a party.  So I've rejigged it, and added a few ingredients to make it even more interesting and tasty. As a bonus, half of it is in the freezer for another night when cooking needs to be simple. We all have those nights, don't we?



Mr. HRK also really enjoys it with a tasty and spicy tomato relish for brunch. Here's a link to my tomato relish recipe.

We are having another late  cold snap here in Mackay, 7 degrees this morning,  so I am enjoying using my oven while it is still pleasant to  warm up the kitchen during the day.

Ingredients:

375g grated zucchini
3 rashers of bacon finely chopped, fat removed
1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped (from ,my garden)
2 mild red chillies, finely chopped (I think mine are Cayenne chillies)
1 finely chopped onion
1 cup very tasty grated cheese
1/2 cup milk or oil (I used milk this time)
5 eggs
2/3 cup corn kernels
1 cup Self Raising Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste

Method:

Grease and line with baking paper a 20cm by 30cm rectangular baking tray (lamington tray). Set your oven to moderate.
Grate zucchini, I use my food processor, and allow to rest on kitchen paper for 10 minutes until some liquid has drained out.
Lightly saute chopped bacon and onion until cooked.
Whisk eggs and milk together in a large bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Pour into the lined baking tray and cook in a moderate oven for 40 minutes.



Some other eggy dishes.
Here's my original Zucchini Slice recipe, very quick and easy.
A delicious Mediterranean Frittata recipe.

Bon appetit

Written by Pauline








8 comments:

  1. Pauline, that is pretty much the same recipe as the one I got from my daughter when she made it to enter in the Mt.Isa show a few years ago and she won first prize. I usually leave the corn out as I am not fond of corn and haven't added the chillies but should try them too and see how it turns out. It is a delicious and simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a yummy sounding variation to an old favourite! My daughter and stepdaughter both makeand freeze portions of zucchini slice as our granddaughters absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, I think it is also a good way to get some eggs and vegies into the kids.

      Delete
  3. hi pauline,
    this dish is such a favourite isn't it? sounds pretty much like the way i make it! handy to have around for lunch the next day too. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pauline oh boy thankyou for this recipe,i have made zucchini slice before but you have a lot of different ingredients to what i use,thankyou so much for sharing your recipe with us,cant wait to try it xx

    ReplyDelete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.