Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies




Chocolate Chip Cookies, yum. It's difficult to capture in a photo just how delicious these are. You might also notice that I have joined the 21st century and am calling them cookies, not biscuits. This is a large mixture making 50, and just as well, because it is hard to stop at eating one or two of these. The are very crisp on the outside, with a firm and sweet biscuit centre, and studded with Chocolate Chips.

I think this was originally a Nestle recipe as it used to be on the Nestle Condensed Milk can label,  however any brand will do for this recipe. A neighbour friend who caters frequently for parties and functions told me about this recipe and was surprised that I didn't already know of it. Perhaps I am the only one that doesn't. I am trying a few different cooking ideas at the moment in  preparation for a family party in September. I'll need to make another batch, and freeze them in advance so that I have about 120 for the Tea and Coffee station. I'm catering for mostly a young crowd so that means hungry, right?

Anyway I think that the next batch I bake should be even better than this one, so I am really happy  that in addition to cake there will be plenty of cookies. 



LET'S COOK:

Preparation:
Makes 48-50 cookies
Grease 3 large biscuit trays, lightly grease and line with parchment
Turn on oven to 180 deg.C or 160 deg. C Fan Forced. (My oven isn't a very hot oven, and they cooked well at 170 deg.C FF)
Ingredients:
180 g Salted Butter
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
1/395g tin of Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups (225g) SR Flour or 1 1/2 cups Plain Flour sifted with 3 teaspoons fresh Baking Powder
250g Dark Choc Bits
(Add 1/2 cup (95g) White Choc bits  for extra pizzazz but not necessary)

Method:
Cream butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until creamy.
Beat in Sweetened Condensed Milk on a low speed.



By hand using a large spoon, add the flour and Dark Choc Bits and mix well.
Roll heaped teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls, place on prepared trays, leaving plenty of room to spread.

Press each one gently with a fork, lightly dipped in flour. Sprinkle each one with a little Demerara sugar for a subtle night time sparkle.



Cool cookies on biscuit trays for 10 minutes until firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely and crisp up.

Store in an airtight container.

These cookies also freeze extremely well.  Freeze in layers using parchment  between layers in a freezer proof container. This works really well if you want to have some on hand for surprise visitors or if planning ahead for a party, as I am. None of the cookie crispness is lost when prefreezing.

I had forgotten how satisfying it is to bake a batch of biscuits, oops cookies. These days I generally bake cakes and these were baked in a jiffy.

Thanks for dropping by.

Happy baking

Pauline












4 comments:

  1. Mmmm they look delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe, Pauline.
    I've never made cookies with condensed milk, so I have to try this sometime soon. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I'm sure you will enjoy them when you do. Pauline

      Delete
  2. They look yummy, Pauline. I haven't seen that recipe before. I always think that 'cookie' is a US term for our biscuits and in the US a 'biscuit' is a scone. Very confusing for my brain. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel, I think the same as you in that regard,however we don't hear them called biscuits very much now do we? Thanks, Pauline

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.
(c)2014-2022 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee