Saturday, March 2, 2024

Low-calorie Chocolate Beetroot Brownies

Eating Chocolate Beetroot Brownies doesn't need to be laden with guilt. Brownies are one of the chocolate lover's favourite styles of cake, and with this beetroot and dark chocolate recipe, if you are watching the calories during the week after an indulgent getaway, you can have your Brownie and eat it too.

In my humble opinion, beetroot has to be one of the most versatile vegetables in the whole world. Whether you are cooking from scratch making savoury or sweet options, think about including beetroot. The beet brings a subtle sweet-earthiness to the flavour of this brownie which is quite sensational. I'm not a  fan of really sweet foods or desserts anymore, and whilst the dates provide a hint of sweetness for this brownie, the beetroot brings a serious amount of moistness to the texture, and adds to the depth of the chocolate notes. Nobody will even guess whilst they are enjoying the chocolate flavours, that there is beetroot involved,  and that they are eating some healthy vitamin rich vegetables at the same time.

Makes 20 slices. Only 128 calories per slice.

INGREDIENTS:

100 g coconut oil plus extra for greasing (or use light olive oil)

275 g cooked beetroot, drained and cut into small chunks

3 large eggs

60 g Dutch cocoa powder

75 g plain dark chocolate ( around 85 % cocoa solids), roughly chopped

100g soft pitted dates

100 g wholemeal self-raising flour

150 g toasted walnuts (optional)

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

pinch of sea salt

METHOD:

Preheat your oven to 200 deg C/fan 180 deg. C/Gas 6.

Ideally, select a 20 cm loose-based square cake tin, grease it, and line it with non-stick baking paper, or a rectangular slice tin will work. I used the latter, and lined it with baking paper and then lifted it out when cooked using the overhang of paper. (See notes below)

Add the beetroot, eggs, cocoa powder, dates and coconut oil to a food processor and blend together thoroughly.

Now add the flour, cinnamon, a pinch of sea salt and bicarbonate of soda and blend well until all the ingredients are well mixed. If the mixture seems a bit too thick, add an extra tablespoon of water and stir it in.

Add the chopped chocolate to the mixture with the walnuts if you are using, and stir it in by hand. Spread the mixture to the sides of the tin.

Bake for 20minutes, until it rises. It should be slightly firm to the touch.

Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Lift out or turn out depending on your tin and cut into small squares to serve and enjoy.

Cooking notes:

  • Try to find fresh beetroot in season. Generally beetroots which aren't too large which still have the foliage attached will be fresh. These won't take as long to cook. 
  • Beetroot is in season in Australia  all year, but is at it's most productive from late Autumn to early spring. 
  • Beetroot will usually peak in production in Winter from June or July. I'm looking forward to being able to buy beetroot at a reasonable price and baking it, boiling it, making beetroot hummus and pickling it.
  • If you want to buy ready-cooked beetroot from the supermarket, choose the product which doesn't have any vinegar or spices added.
  • Leftover brownies can be frozen, wrapped in alfoil, and stored in a lidded container.
  • This is best eaten I think straight after baking, for a softer cake crumb. However, if it's kept in the frig for the following day, the chocolate pieces will harden within, giving wonderful chocolate flavours when you are eating it.
  • I think I've said this before, that it is a challenge  for the home cook to always have the perfect sized tray for pan for baking with. I was happy using a rectangular slice tray for this recipe, but if you have a square brownie pan, that's perfect.
  • Instead of walnuts, it would be nice to add 150 g of roughly chopped pecans for some crunch and extra protein.
  • I've made this slice twice now, using both coconut oil and vegetable oil and I preferred this latest batch when I used coconut oil.
Serve a brownie after your meal with some berries, creme fraiche, or full-fat yoghurt.

I'm looking forward to beetroot being in season in Australia and Queensland where we live.  We generally try to grow some beetroot each year even though the baby beets grow the best for us. It's been too wet to plan the Winter garden during these past few months, but we need to start preparing the soil for the Winter garden in the next few weeks. 

I'll be making some beetroot hummus from good quality beetroot in season, more chocolate beetroot cake, and eating it baked as well.  There are so many delicious and healthy meals, sweets and dishes to make using beetroot when it is in season. When they are in season, they don't take as long to cook eithe

This recipe is taken from the Ultimate fast 800 recipe book, with recipes by Dr Claire Bailey and Justine Pattison. This is just one of the books I am working my way through during the week, and the recipes prove that low calorie meals can still be delicious, interesting and fun to make.

Warm wishes,

Pauline












 

10 comments:

  1. I have to try these! We love beets in this house and have many ways of enjoying them, but so far, not in baked goods. Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melynda, so happy your enjoyed the recipe. I love using beets too.

      Delete
  2. They sound and look wonderful! I haven't baked brownies in a while...this has me crave some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauline, I am on the PC so might be able to comment for a change. I just love the look of those brownies and will save the recipe for down the track. Thanks heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look so squishy and delicious Pauline. My cuz has a phobia about veg. in sweets so she would refuse to eat these :=) but I like 'em. I try to buy those baby beets in a vacuum pack as they have no vinegar etc. Apparently it is nigh impossible to buy tinned beets atm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I think I know who you are...I like to boil my beets, but how strange that we can't buy baby beets in a can anymore. It's not beetroot season yet though, perhaps that will change. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. Oops I think that was me! :=)

      Delete
  5. As I am trying to lose weight these days (I have lost 10 kilos so far), anything tasty and low calorie is good for me. These brownies look just wonderful -- so rich and dark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, these are really good, and congratulations on your weight loss. That is a great effort. I think losing weight is one of the greatest challenges for food bloggers, we are trying to lose a few kilos as well, hence the low calorie recipes.

      Delete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.