Tuesday, February 6, 2024

In My Kitchen February 2024

January has flown by, and now I am mentally collecting inspiration for cooking events for February. We are still experiencing the peak of the tropical heat of Summer here, and this determines a lot of what I am preparing and cooking. However, let's start on a sweet note and there a few recipes in this post that I haven't yet shared with you. 
A big shout out to my blogging friend Sherry at Sherry's Pickings who at the beginning of every month hosts this In My Kitchen event, which all of us at home Food Bloggers love to be a part of. I always enjoy reading what the other food bloggers from around the world have been doing in their kitchens, and any new cooking books and kitchen utensils they have acquired. 

This is my Aquarian birthday month, and already I have received a birthday card from my local Member of Parliament, that's a first, so there must be an election brewing. It's still a fortnight until my birthday.  My age group tends to be targeted these days, they want our vote, however, let's not be cynical, it is always a real surprise to receive a card from someone who doesn't even know you! It seems only politicians send cards these days.

 This classic Crème Brûlée is a very chic French dessert to have in your food repertoire. Donna Hay's recipe was what I used, but I added a couple of modifications which worked beautifully. I only recently purchased her beautiful recipe book. A silky and rich custard has a topping of thin caramelised crunchy toffee. It's an absolutely delight to crack through the toffee layer with a spoon to discover the rich custard and vanilla delight waiting below. Recipe soon. I ordered Crème Brûlée  in an authentic French Restaurant, Le Tomate, that my son took me to when I was in Montpellier last year. It was absolutely divine, and I've been wanting to make one ever since.




This French plate was gifted to me this week, by my lovely friend who is a committed Op Shop shopper. She knows me well, and that I love all things French, because my son and his family live over there.


Continuing with the French theme, my foodie friend J lent me this book, and it is a foodie's delight to read. I'm hoping for some recipe ideas in this book.
.

With blueberries in season, I had to bake this delicious Lemon, Olive Oil and Blueberry Yoghurt cake. The texture of this cake was such a wonderful surprise, silky with a very tender crumb. It's a keeper.

Lots of Lemon icing topped it off beautifully

Eggplant, chickpea and tomato bake, was full of delicious Mediterranean flavours and fibre. We ate leftovers for a couple of days, and each time it was a joy to eat.


However, I am realising that whilst a lot of people enjoy Mediterranean foods and they are being touted now as being very healthy and the solution to so many modern health problems, not everyone can tolerate tomato-based dishes. This is where an old favourite of mine, Chicken Marbella comes into its own. I made it again on the weekend and it was delicious as always. You can find the recipe here where in the detail of the recipe I have also given a lot of the food history of this dish..

Chicken Marbella

Chicken and chorizo casserole like a lot of Spanish food is essentially simple and wholesome, but very tasty. The addition of good quality Extra Virgin olive oil, chorizo, capsicum and tomatoes are all that is needed to transport a simple chicken dish to Granada, Madrid, Barcelona, San Sebastian or wherever you want to be in Spain. Although food in Granada often has a very Moroccan influence as well. I first cooked this recipe way back in 2015. It really is time I shared it with you.

Chicken and chorizo casserole


In Summer like most people, I buy lots of salad vegetables including leafy greens. It is impossible to grow lettuces and green leafy vegetables in our summer garden. To keep these greens fresh for as long as possible, I am now storing them in a lidded plastic container lined with absorbent kitchen wrap paper in the refrigerator. They keep for a week this way. How do you keep your Summer greens so that they don't wilt quickly?


One pan Salmon Kedgeree is always delicious and one of the meals on rotation in my kitchen.



Chicken and Apricot Tagine has been one of the most popular recipes on my blog this month. 


It's hard to beat a Moroccan style tagine or casserole for flavour and nutritional benefits. This recipe is great for the busy home cook, as once the chicken and onions are browned on the stovetop, all the ingredients are tumbled into a large casserole dish and the meal cooks itself in the oven. It can be served in a beautiful tagine utensil if you own one, or straight from your casserole dish or cast-iron utensil, with a light garnish of attractive green herbs. I'm looking forward to making this once again, sometime soon.

Who doesn't love a tasty savoury scone, and these Cheese and Chorizo scones were absolutely delicious. We ate them reheated throughout the week. I'll be posting this recipe at a later date. It will be a good excuse to make another batch and take some more photos of them.


Hope your week is going well for you.

Warm wishes
Pauline

23 comments:

  1. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING looks delicious! Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Melynda, wishing you a great weekend too.

      Delete
  2. I was interested in some of the food history you mentioned. To add to what you said: Chicken Marbella was invented at the restaurant The Silver Palate, and popularized in the 1970s in their widely-used cookbook. The Silver Palate chefs/authors were Sheila Lukins and Julee Rosso. The dish was a favorite at dinner parties in that era in the US.

    You noted that Mediterranean food was too often dependent on tomatoes and tomato products. My experience is different: my impression is that the Mediterranean products most often mentioned are fish, olives & olive oil, garbanzo beans, fresh herbs, and grapes/wine, and most often featured are salads like Salade Nicoise, Greek salad, and Israeli or greek Mezze dishes. And as you mentioned, eggplant!

    Interesting food for thought in your post today.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Mae, you certainly keep us earnest food bloggers on our toes. I had mentioned the history of the Chicken Marbella in my original recipe post, I thought if readers read that post they would see it, but thankyou. Mediterranean foods are indeed varied, and chosen according to the individuals preference.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so good here Pauline. As you may remember, I don't like tomatoes so a recipe without them is a winner:) I must check out the salmon kedgeree too. I've never got on the Donna Hay train tho I do make one of her recipes for chicken potato and sauerkraut casserole! Thanks so much for joining in this month. Have a great Feb.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry always a pleasure being part of IMK. Thanks for your very kind comment.

      Delete
  4. Your meals look delicious and I did follow the link to bookmark the chicken dish. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your enjoy the chicken recipe Anne, it is delicious.

      Delete
  5. That's so funny about the birthday card from the politician. I can't say that's ever happened here...but then again, American politics is a huge nightmare. Enough of that talk. Let's stick to the food! Everything looks so delicious, and I envy your summer produce right now. When it comes to greens, we do the same things as you. Line an airtight container with paper towels and store 'em in there. Then we make a focused effort to use them within a couple of days. Enjoy the season!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David yes better off sticking to food than politics I think. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  6. Those are some beautiful looking meals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love Donna Hay — I have several of her books! And your Paris plate — I cannot wait to be there — just 10 weeks away. The book looks really good — I need to check it out. And, of course, all your recipes look fantastic! Thanks for sharing, Pauline! David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David that is so exciting you are travelling to Paris. I am rather envious:)

      Delete
  8. Everything looks delicious but especially the scones, yum! My salad greens always go soggy in the fridge, so I'm going to try your tip of the container with the paper towel. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammie those scones were really good. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  9. What wonderful things in your kitchen this month. And I am envious of those summer vegetables here where it is the depth of winter. I had forgotten about chicken marbella, thank you. I will put it on my own rotation this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz thanks for dropping by, Chicken Marbella is definitely on my rotation list.

      Delete
  10. So many yummy meals there! I adore the look of the blueberry yoghurt cake, I love moist cakes that are easy to throw together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really easy to make when needed. Thanks so much for your comment

      Delete
    2. This is a lovely cake that can be made quickly. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.