Friday, January 12, 2024

Vietnamese Chicken Salad

The secret to this delicious Vietnamese style chicken slaw is the perfectly balanced dressing ingredients and the wombok cabbage which forms the basis of the salad. Oh, and the juicy shredded chicken is a pleasure to eat. I've tried a few different Vietnamese Chicken Salad recipes over the years, but with this recipe Nagi Maehashi has really nailed it. I know that a lot of you have her Recipe Tin Eats book "Dinner" by now, and this recipe is published in that, however I have given you a few extra tips and tricks for making this salad from the perspective of the home cook. 

Most of us have one of those very large ceramic mixing bowls in our kitchens, the ones our Mothers all had, and the one that I use to make my Christmas cake and other recipes with lots of ingredients.  Mason Cash are a well-known brand for these bowls, but there are cheaper brands available that do the same job. I suggest you use one that size when you and your helpers start chopping up the ingredients for this recipe. I often chop the cabbage the day before I need it to save time and store it covered in the refrigerator in a large rectangular plastic container. The cabbage can then be transferred to the large bowl along with all of the other chopped ingredients. If you don't wish to serve the salad in your large utilitarian bowl, but in a nicer one that's perfectly understandable, but believe me initially it makes life much easier to start with a large bowl. 

If you are craving a light Vietnamese meal fix, this is the recipe for you. Honestly, I just can't get enough of it. It's perfect for serving for lunch or dinner, even in wintry climates. It could also be served as a light entree before the main meal. 

Ingredients:

Serves 3-4 as a main, 6-8 as a delicious appetiser.

2 chicken breast fillets, poached, and cooled to room temperature (see directions for poaching below) (Or use shredded chicken from a Barbecued chicken)

1/2 wombok (Chinese cabbage) - Wash wombok leaves if necessary and pat dry.  Thinly slice, this should be about 300 g of cabbage. I can't be bothered measuring it into cups, but 6-7 cups is about right.

1 red capsicum (pepper), seeds removed, and finely sliced

2 Lebanese cucumbers (Halve them lengthways, scoop out the seeds, then slice each half into half-moons, Nagi's expression and so apt)

 1 large carrot (grated or thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler, or julienne them if you wish)

1/2 red onion, very finely sliced

1 long red chilli, deseeded and sliced finely (optional)

1 cup chopped fresh mint (about 40 g)

1 cup coriander leaves (35 g)

1/3 cup (50 g) roasted unsalted peanuts, very finely chopped, serve on the side.

Dressing ingredients:

1 large garlic clove, crushed or finely grated

1 tablespoon white or brown sugar (I used white)

2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar 

 60 ml fish sauce (1/4 cup)

2 tablespoons lime juice

1/4 cup grapeseed oil

Making the Dressing:

Pour the dressing ingredients into a jar, give it a good shake, and then rest it for at least 10 minutes so that the flavours all combine well. The dressing can be made the day before you intend to make the salad. I like to have as many salad elements prepared in advance as possible when I'm cooking.

How to Poach the chicken for your salad: (This is so simple, and once you have done it, you will want to poach chicken breast pieces this way each time.)

Ingredients:

1-2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, up to 220 g each

These are optional flavourings below which can be used to flavour the chicken when poaching, but not essential. I rarely use them if the chicken is being added to a complete dish or salad.

1 lemon quartered

1 fresh or dried bay leaf

2 smashed garlic cloves 

Method:

Bring 2.5 litres of water to the boil over a high heat in a large saucepan.

Carefully place the chicken pieces and the optional flavourings in the water. Bring the water back up to the boil, and then all you do is turn the heat off and cover the pan with a fitted lid. Leave your saucepan on the stove for 20 minutes to poach. However, I have left it there for nearly an hour when busy and it's fine.

(To serve separately, remove the chicken from the pan, and shred it or slice it. It will be so beautifully juicy and can be used for sandwiches or any recipe that needs cooked chicken.)

Assembling the Salad:

Put all the salad ingredients except for the peanuts in a very large bowl and mix well.

Pour half the dressing over the cabbage and toss this well so that the ingredients are coated. Set aside for 5 minutes to soften all of the greens slightly, so that it starts to resemble a slaw.

TOSS - Just prior to serving, add most of the remaining dressing, and give the salad a good toss again. Do a taste test and add more dressing if you think the salad needs it. 

To serve your salad, sprinkle with all the peanuts, if there are no peanut allergies involved. To be on the safe side I serve them in a separate bowl, and everyone helps themselves. The peanuts really make this salad quite wonderful.

Other serving suggestions for a crowd:

Serve with sweet chilli jam, extra nuts, fresh lime portions, and dried noodles if you wish for even extra crunch.


Beware, this salad will do the disappearing act quickly, it is so delicious.

My Cooking Notes:

  • I don't like adding too many ingredients to a recipe, and what I have written up delivers a very delicious salad. However, there are always a couple of extra things you can add to a salad like this one for even more flavour if you wish
  • I have a Kaffir lime tree growing, so I often finely shred a couple of leaves and toss them in the salad as well. A little finely sliced lemon grass also adds extra flavour. Some fresh bean sprouts also give some more healthy crunch. However these suggestions are purely optional but you might have these ingredients on hand. 
  • Vietnamese mint is a strongly flavoured herb, and I think people either love it or hate it, I love it. I have it growing in a tub, so I throw in a chopped handful of this mint as well.
  • Using shredded chicken breast from a purchased BBQ chicken will save you time, and poaching the chicken yourself takes no time at all, but it is another step. I know for families with children, time can be very precious, and children need to eat when they are hungry. I'm the first to admit that I have sometimes used the meat from a BBQ chook to save time if I am catering for a crowd or tired after a long day at work.
  • This salad fills a very large mixing bowl initially when first chopped, however it will reduce slightly once the dressing is added.
  • Wombok cabbages are readily available in our Queensland supermarkets and greengrocers, whole or halved, however you can use a very finely chopped normal cabbage if necessary.
  • Wombok is a very fine cabbage, so it can become a bit flighty when being chopped. Just saying.
  • If you decide to double the ingredients with a whole wombok to serve more people, prepare yourself for a lot of cabbage but it is a great idea for feeding a crowd.
  • Wombok cabbages will keep fresh in your refrigerator for a few days before using
Here are a few links to other Vietnamese recipes on my blog for you to consider:

I have just realised that I also have a Summery Vietnamese Chicken Salad recipe on my blog from the late and great Bill Granger's book, Bills Open Kitchen, which I proudly display on my bookshelf. I haven't made this recipe for a couple of years, but it is also very good. Well done Bill, what a fabulous contribution you made to the culinary world. 

The Vietnamese Ruby Grapefruit Salad is also a lovely accompaniment on a salad day when Grapefruit are in season. 


Vietnamese Char Sui Pulled Pork is one of my favourite recipes to cook in the Slow Cooker when I am pushed for time. 


Warm wishes
Pauline



16 comments:

  1. Beautiful salad! So colorful and refreshing…I love the idea of adding chicken to make it a full meal.…the kind I love.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Balvinder, the flavours are really fresh in this salad.

      Delete
  2. This looks so colourful, light yet very flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will definitely be making this, Pauline. I love all the flavors and wish I could buy a store-bought roasted chicken, but they always season then with garlic! Grrrr. However, I’ve got a great method for cooking chicken pieces and shredding them so problem resolved! Thanks for this! Cheers, David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David I really hope you enjoy this salad. It's a keeper as far as I am concerned.

      Delete
  4. this salad looks so delicious Pauline! Yep I have Nagi's book, as do most bloggers and (other) cooks I reckon. So so sad about Bill G. Way too young to go. I have one of those large Mason and Cash bowls plus a smaller one. I have been reading Sammie's blog over in the UK, and she is collecting heaps of them by the sound of it. Lucky gal is she! Keep cool - and dry. so damp here atm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry despite the predictions, the weather is really damp in Queensland. However it is January. I am really fond of this salad.

      Delete
  5. Another terrific recipe. Thanks Pauline. It is certainly very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chel, Nice to hear from you. It is delicious and attractive on the plate as well. Are you still blogging? Take care, Pauline

      Delete
  6. I’m always craving these flavors! Beautiful salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to make Vietnamese Chicken Salad, but where am I going to find a Vienamese chicken? :-) Kidding aside, this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the laugh Jeff. That's exactly what it sounds like now that you mention it. Anyway, it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.