Friday, October 13, 2023

In My Kitchen, October 2023

 Dear Readers, It's time for my monthly In My Kitchen review, which surprisingly is for October already, can you believe it, I can't. However, this is mostly about happenings In My Kitchen for September. It includes a recent fabulous trip to beautiful Sydney, in NSW, some food foraging, and links to some of my favourite recipes that I have made recently. It's Black Friday today, the 13th, and this post needs to be submitted by close of business. I'm not superstitious, but I think I should try and submit this one as soon as I can, just in case.  So here it is, and I hope you enjoy reading about my latest culinary exploits and adventures, and other highlights as well.


Foraging

I love food foraging. One of my secret passions, and now it's out there, is foraging for the cheapest tomatoes I can find. I can't cope without having fresh tomatoes in my kitchen. We've tried growing the larger tomatoes, but they all succumb eventually to nematodes, even though we seem to be able to grow the very small cherry tomatoes. After all, we are only 192 km or nearly 2 hours drive south of the Bowen food bowl, where tomatoes are one of the main crops grown. We have a wonderful locally owned fruit and vegetable shop called Mifsuds Fresh Fruit Barn, close to where we live, and this morning Mr. HRK and I drove there and I found 4 small trays of these beautiful tomatoes for $8.00, weighing 3.026 kilos. Given how everything is increasing in price, I consider this good value. What do you think? Given that there were other loose tomatoes which didn't look much different to me, for double that price, I think I had a win. They will ripen quickly, so I am planning a lovely slow cooked tomato sauce to serve up with some pasta for a meal over the weekend. I'm fortunate to also have fresh basil and oregano growing so it will be an economical meal.

 
I really like cooking with Bulghur wheat as an alternative grain, so I also purchased this packet of organic bulghur wheat whilst I was there.



We recently had a week in Sydney, New South Wales, where Mr. HRK competed in the National Pickleball tournament, and did quite well considering he wasn't feeling great, and in the Western Suburbs of Sydney where it was held the heat was extreme, up to 40 degrees C. at times. Some of the older players were dropping like flies as a result, requiring urgent medical attention. Thankfully he didn't faint, but the heat took the edge of his usual performance on the pickleball court.

Jamie and Neil with their pickleball paddles

Pictured with his partner Jamie on the left. Neil playing in the Mixed event below.


I reckon that a small story about Pickleball is slightly appropriate to this post, as a very important part of the Pickleball court is called The Kitchen. Yes really. Blame the USA for the quaint names, that's where the game originated. The Kitchen is the designated area either side of the net, which it's important to stay out of, and if the player does enter the Kitchen, it's important to back out of it again quickly. When I'm playing, I sometimes have trouble staying out of The Kitchen, not surprising eh? 

One of the highlights of our Sydney trip was a visit to our niece's lovely family home in Manly for lunch, where she baked a trout, served with a beautiful cherry tomato salad and baked crispy potatoes. Delicious. For dessert she served us Eton Mess in a glass which was also delicious and refreshing as was the Champagne and reminded me to make Eton Mess again sometime soon. 
 


I was quite entranced by this very old public school in Crown Street in Sydney, the Crown Street Public School.  It must be one of the oldest in Australia, built in 1849, that's old by Australian standards. Such a majestic building.


One of my missions whilst in Sydney was to find some Gochujang paste, at an Asian supermarket. We went to three and finally found this one which was the right size and description. I've wanted to buy some ever since I saw Jeff the Chef's Korean Style Fried Pork recipe, and Lorraine from Not Quite Nigella in one of her comments to me said it's one of her most used Asian spices that she always has on hand. That's good enough for me. Watch this space in the future for what I decide to cook using Gochujang. Mr. HRK very kindly brought this back for me on the plane in his luggage, such a dear.



Kitchen Cooking

What have I been cooking? Not that much since we've been home from Sydney but before that I was busy in the kitchen, celebrating the best of what was in season.



A reminder about my Rhubarb, Meringue and Almond Celebration cake




Thanks so much to Sherry from Sherry's Pickings for hosting this global cooking event each month. She's always on time, publishing hers on the 1st of each month, such a star.

Warm wishes,
Pauline




25 comments:

  1. I love your photos, Pauline.I think I might be making tomato sauce soon as the tomatoes ripen. We haven’t had any success with growing the larger ones either. Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Chel. Homemade tomato sauce is wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Plenty of delicious foods! That old public school building looks really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm that lasagne is calling out to me as well as the streusel cake. I think you got a good deal on those tomatoes! I don't like the winter months when there are no good tomatoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's always good to get a good deal on tomatoes. You would love the lasagne.

      Delete
  4. Wow, your cakes look good! We found gochugang and gochugaru a while back and did some experiments — good stuff!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gochujang is wonderful! I just bought gochujang sriracha, but haven’t tasted it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh that sounds good Mimi. Look forward to hearing about it.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of pickleball! sounds interesting. i've been using gochujaru for ages. It's such a nice mild flavour with a tiny bit of heat - very useful. thanks for joining in this month and happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Pauline! It's been a while since I visited your site but I love to see what you're doing and what you're cooking....that Strawberry cake looks amazing! You sound so much like me that wherever we go I'm drawn to buy food items to bring back. The Gochujang paste may be available at Woolies. I'm not sure if it's as good as the one you found but it is available at my local store. I've never tried it but I'm curious to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Marcellina, I checked my Woolies the other day and couldn't find it. However it could come back in. I have enough now to last for a while.

      Delete
  8. So sorry, Pauline. I didn't sign off in my last comment. So you're probably wondering who in the heck was writing to you. All the best, Marcellina xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clarifying Marcellina, It's so nice to hear from you. You are such a busy lady, I love your blog too.

      Delete
  9. Another lovely month in your kitchen! I just bought more gochujang today (online, of course) because I used the last of ours last night for grilled pork. It is so delicious. I am also a huge fan of bulghur -- it is so flavorful and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. We are so fortunate David to have access to so many delicious foodstuffs aren't we? I am still discovering how many delicious ways to use gochujang.

      Delete
  10. We can do wild foraging here for mushrooms, sea kelp etc. And Eva and I foraged some grapes off a vine last week! I have fond memories of Manly around oysters and ice cream. I once drove 65km just to buy some Gochujang paste - I would not do so again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to be able to forage for wild mushrooms and sea kelp. Not in our neck of the woods unfortunately. I wouldn't drive that far to buy anything these days. Thnks for your comment Tandy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That vegetarian lasagna looks delicious! It's always hard to make lasagna look good in photos, but you did it for sure. :-) As for the trip, that Crown Street Public School is gorgeous! Can you imagine going to school in a building like that? Glad the pickleball tourney was successful, too. I don't play, but pickleball seems to be very popular here in the States right now, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, Pickleball originated in the United States and named the game and set the rules. It really is big over there.

      Delete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.