Thursday, July 13, 2023

In My Kitchen, June and July, 2023

This is a quick roundup of what has been happening in both my French and Australian kitchens and all things related, since I last posted an In My Kitchen, which is a while. Regular readers of my food blog will know that I travelled over to France for two months so I won't repeat the details of what I have already written here about my trip. Most of the cooking I did in France was to feed my son's beautiful family, including my 7 year old grandson, and 4 year old twins, a boy and a girl. The three children have just had birthdays over the last month. I was so fortunate to be there for the twins 4th birthday. This post is my June submission to the #IMK series hosted by the wonderful Sherry from Sherry's Pickings. Each month food bloggers from around the world gather to share what is new in their kitchen.  

Anybody who cooks for children is no doubt aware of their food preferences, but when this includes one who won't eat eggs, or anything obviously containing eggs, one who doesn't like cheese, yes I know it's France, the cheese haven of the world, although he adores fruit and would live on it if possible. One who hates fresh tomato but is fine with pasta and pasta sauce, and then there are the various vegetables and aversions to a few vegetables. However they love pumpkin. Having said all of that though, in general they love food and are good eaters, in particular Evie who eats really well and puts the boys to shame, most of the time. It was a delight for me to be able to cook for them. My son loves his food, and generally does all the cooking for the meals, so they are in good hands as well. I tried to give him a break from cooking whenever I could whilst I was over there. Does any of this sound familiar to those of you with children, or grandchildren? I actually don't remember our children being fussy eaters, but perhaps I've forgotten. However over time children's preferences will change, and the importance of  healthy home cooked food, and just the occasional take away, shines through eventually.

I made a "French" Bread and Butter pudding for dessert one night, using two day old Brioche, Nutella, and used an online recipe for the custard. I was really pleased with how it tasted, however the children thought I could have added more Nutella. I really thought it was sweet enough. Nutella is still so popular in France. In the supermarkets I saw whole shelving bays devoted to Nutella, in bottles and packaging of various shapes and sizes. 

A few batches of my Aussie Damper Scones were always delicious straight out of the oven, just because the children and my daughter in law loved them. They are easy and quick to make, and the ingredients are always on hand, although at times I used some buckwheat flour if we had run out of plain flour. They were also easy to make with little Evie, who loved cooking with me.

This is still a very edible batch given I had help from a four year old, and used a variety of flours as well.

Another batch performing the disappearing act

Evie and I cooking scones together



Corn Flake biscuits were a winner, and Corn Flakes were on rotation over there as a  breakfast cereal, so were generally available in the pantry. The twins took their job of crushing up the cornflakes very seriously. 


French Afternoon tea in the summer garden in Lodeve, where Myrtille's mother Catherine lives was a treat.


Catherine's special French Chocolate cake. She also makes this cake for the children's birthdays.

A view over Lodeve from Catherine's kitchen.


Matthew cooked Canard, or braised Duck breast a couple of nights during my stay. The duck can be purchased with instructions on the packet, and this is Duck breast not Duck legs unlike Duck confit. It wasn't very difficult to cook and was absolutely superb to eat. The presentation on this plate isn't great, but when there are 5 hungry mouths to feed, it's just a relief to have it cooked. Honestly, I've never eaten more delicious duck. We went out for dinner on my last evening in Montpellier and I ordered Duck confit, but it wasn't as enjoyable as the duck my son cooked.

Searing the duck breast

Canard, perfectly pink in the middle


Baked vegetables to accompany the duck

I cooked this simple and delicious chicken traybake with corn fed chicken, which has yellow coloured skin because of the corn they were fed on, and local French vegetables including Kale, leeks, carrots and zucchini, which came in the organic Vegetable and Fruit box that they collect each week. Corn fed chicken is more expensive, but much better quality.




Locally grown organic kale



We call them Madeleines, the French called these  Magdalenas. These little cakes could be purchased in large cellophane packets, and individually wrapped. They were  delicious and looked just like Madeleines.


We enjoyed these French hors d'oeuvres when we were invited out to afternoon aperitifs. They were all bought frozen from a supermarket which only sells frozen food and were delicious.



My son took Hugo, our 7 year old grandson to the French Tennis Open at Roland Garros in Paris while I was over there, and brought us back some beautiful merchandise, a lovely handbag and Roland Garros canvas shopping bag pour moi, and a set of Roland Garros espresso coffee mugs for Mr. HRK. They have pride of place in our kitchen, and the handbag and canvas shopping bag were well used while I was in France.


The June Tropical Ginger Harvest

When we arrived home, it was time to harvest our patch of fresh ginger growing in the back garden. We waited a week to take a breath and settle in, and then the second week was officially "ginger week". We dehydrated a bucket of ginger, and I put aside 1200 grams to make Stem Ginger in Syrup, which I love to have on hand, bottled  in the refrigerator for adding to ginger cakes and desserts. If you have fresh ginger growing, you can read how I make my tropical stem ginger at this link. Yours is probably ready to harvest now as well. It's always ready in Winter to be harvested if it was planted early enough in Spring/Summer.

Tropical Stem Ginger in syrup

I also now have enough powdered ginger to last me for another year. 

Washed
Skins removed

Four trays in the dehydrator ready to be dried for powdered ginger.

I made this Golden Pear, Raspberry, Almond and Maple syrup cake for dessert after I returned home, and used fresh raspberries this time. The first one that I made with frozen raspberries looked completely different with the rich redness of the raspberries colouring the cake in layers. Take a peek at the original post I did on this and you will see what I mean. I'll write up the recipe again though as soon as I can. This is a delicious cake.

I cooked Ratatouille, a French vegetable stew,  in Montpellier, and again when I settled in at home as well. The tomatoes and fresh vegetables in Montpellier were just exceptional and made this dish very tasty.


When we arrived home, I was thrilled to notice that our Italian honey bees were feeding on the Blue Butterfly bush in our front garden. It's a beautiful bush and bees love blue and purple flowers. Mr. HRK inspected the beehive, and despite our absence, it seems to be thriving which is a relief. If we can survive the Spring bee swarming season, we should be harvesting honey later in the year. Fingers crossed.




Thanks for dropping by to read my post. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.

Warm wishes,

Pauline



19 comments:

  1. Lots of yummy treats! Those aussie scones look like wholemeal rolls, bet they taste awesome. What I love the most is that duck breast!! Perfectly seared with pink inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your granddaughter is gorgeous Pauline. How wonderful to spend quality time with your grandkids. Love all the food and baking etc. I love duck, but I only eat it when out as hubby doesn't like it. And that platter with the fish on it is a hoot. For some reason, I love fishy things. Thanks for joining in IMK this month, and enjoy the rest of July. Mine has been a series of medical tests so I'm kinda over July already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, sorry to hear you aren't well. I've been crook for the last couple of weeks with a virus and cough so off to the doctors this morning, I've had enough of it too. Anyway, it's nice to be doing a little blogging again. Little Evie really is adorable. My son is a good cook, but not big on presentation:)

      Delete
  3. Everything looks delicious especially that chocolate cake with the red balls on top. Your helper is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pauline, how lovely to spend time with your family. You must miss them. Thanks for sharing the delicious food photos. Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chel, it's really nice to hear from you. Hope you are well.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much Mae, and you are so right, they do have a Spanish name and the writing on the packet is in Spanish. I never took the time to really check their origin, but it is probably Spain. There were loads and loads of them in the supermarkets. Interesting. I have other photos of the grandchildren, just a bit nervous about putting too many of them on the blog. But I will post a few more over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness! Not too many folks have kitchens in France AND Australia! You are very lucky! Such a fun range of ingredients from which to choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi, Yes two kitchens in France and Australia in two months, so fortunate, ha, ha.

      Delete
  7. Lovely things from your French and Australian kitchens this month! Your challenge of cooking for the kiddies with multiple food aversions must be like doing the ultimate Sudoku of food. I do think somehow the vegetables are brighter and more cheerful in France, did you find the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought the vegetables and fruits were outstanding, but it is Summer, Winter might be a different prospect, and they also have other areas of Europe to import from, which they do, still it was lovely range of fresh produce.

      Delete
  8. That view from the kitchen is stunning! That would literally be a dream come true to be able to live in a village like that. :-) And I can absolutely identify when it comes to kids and picky eating...umph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, Lodeve is lovely, and this house has a wonderful position overlooking the countryside. Children have so much choice with foods now though don't they, more than I did, that's for sure.

      Delete
  9. I don't there is a greater way to show love than being bale to cook for them. I loved this post...children grandchildren, France and Australia, this is a wonderful post.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Velva, it came from the heart, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  10. What a delicious time you had in France! It makes me want to book a trip over the channel! I am sure kids these days are way more picky than we were when we were kids. The bread and butter pudding looks delish and I must admit I don't think that there is no such thing as too much nutella :) I am very impressed with your ginger - what a bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammie, You are so close now, you would love a trip to France in Summer, I am sure. Thanks so much for your lovely comment.

      Delete

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.