Thursday, 6 November 2014
Low Fat Coconut Butter Chicken
1 large onion, diced
25g coconut oil (Use instead of ghee or butter)
2-3cm knob of ginger, grated or chopped or use 1 tsp. ground ginger
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cardamon (opt.)
1 tsp. ground coriander (opt.)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp garam masala
1 fresh chilli, chopped
1 tomato, diced
3 tbsp. reduced salt tomato paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
700g chicken breast (preferable to chicken thighs for low fat content although thighs have more flavour)
400 ml light evaporated milk (or coconut flavoured evaporated milk) )use instead of coconut cream
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves to serve
1. In a frying pan over medium heat, cook onion in coconut oil until translucent, stirring regularly (about 15 minutes).
2. Turn heat down to low and stir in the garlic and spices (ginger, turmeric, and the garam masala). Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chilli and tomato, cook until pulpy (about 10 minutes).
3. Add tomato paste and chicken. Coat chicken and fry, stirring for about 10 minutes.
84. Add evaporated milk, lemon juice and stir, turn down heat and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened
5. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Take mixture off heat and garnish with coriander.
Be adventurous with your vegetables and try okra, eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, pumpkin, sweet potato or Asian water spinach.