Serves 6. Prep 20 mins. Cooking 30 mins.
1 small cauliflower
2 tbs olive or sunflower oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tbs fresh chopped curry leaves (optional)
2 large tomatoes
1 tin chick peas, rinsed and drained (optional)
2 long red chillies (or green chillies)
A knob of grated fresh turmeric or 2 tsp ground turmeric
4 cm piece ginger, finely grated
3 garlic cloves
3 large potatoes, peeled. cut into 5 cm pieces
1 tbs garam masala
Steamed basmati rice, pappadums, raita and mango chutney or pickle to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onion and cumin, and cook, stirring for 4 minutes or until softened ( be careful not to scorch the cumin or the dish will taste burnt)
- Add tomatoes, all chillies, turmeric, ginger, curry leaves and garlic, then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cauliflower and 650ml water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add chick peas.
- Stir in garam masala, cook for 2 minutes. Season then remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with rice, papadums, chutney and raita.
(This recipe adapted from Feast, April 2014.)