Saturday, 26 July 2014

COCONUT LEMON CHICKEN SOUP



This recipe is taken from the Quirky Cooking blog and sent to my by my wonderful foodie friend, Julia. It is written for a thermomix, which I don't have, so this is my adaptation. When Julia arrived for coffee, she had just enjoyed a bowl of this soup for breakfast, and I adore Asian soups, so off to my earth garden, to dig up my homegrown turmeric and ginger, pick some fresh chives and shallots, and some coriander, and a chilli. How rewarding! I am such a fan of homemade Asian herbal and spice pastes and they are so easy to do. Fortunately, I had made a huge pot of Chicken Stock the day before so I already had my base.

Ingredients:

1 inch fresh ginger
1/2 inch fresh turmeric
1 large clove garlic
fresh coriander or cilantro (to taste)
a few fresh chives or shallots
Coconut oil
1 Litre of home-made chicken stock

Tip: 
For extra nutritional qualities and zing, double the amount of ginger, turmeric, garlic, coriander and chilli (opt.) Whizz it up in your food processor or blender, it smells so good. After whizzing it up, remove half to a bowl, then add it back into the soup after it's finished cooking. That way you will get the benefit of the raw enzymes, and much more flavour!

Method:

In a large saucepan, saute the above ingredients gently in a tablespoon of coconut oil, or your choice of oil. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.

Add the following ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.

  • 1 tin of coconut cream or milk
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tsp Rapadura
  • a few good splashes of fish sauce
Add in 200-300g leftover cooked chicken or chicken reserved from making your stock. 
Simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste and season if required, and if you think the soup needs some extra zing, add the extra minced herbs, garlic, ginger, etc. If not, freeze the extra paste for next time.

Pour soup into bowls, and garnish with fresh cilantro or shallots.






No comments:

Post a Comment